Monday, December 7, 2009

Indian Canyon, California


Indian Canyon is on the outskirts of Palm Springs (California). Or, is Palm Springs on the outskirts of Indian Canyon? Indian Canyon including Tahquitz Canyon is land owned by the Agua Caliente Band of  the Cahuilla Indians. The canyons are in the San Jacinto Mountains.  A Ranger told me that there are around 700 Bighorn Sheep in the San Jacintos. Problem: very little access. So, very seldom seen. Next trip I am going to head up the Colorado River toward Las Vegas in hopes of finding them. But, for now, it's Indian Canyon. I woke up as I usually do in order to get where I want to be by dawn. However, as I approached Indian Canyon there was a gate and a sign with hours 8:00 AM to whatever. So, I am sitting in my Jeep trying to decide on an alternative strategy, when I notice a flock of Western Bluebirds eating berries from the palm tree right next to me. Long story short, I was there for over an hour photographing a wide variety of birds such as the male western bluebird, female western bluebird, and mountain bluebird above.

No comments:

Post a Comment