Monday, June 24, 2013

Bears, Pronghorn, Elk, Oh My .....

It's still just a matter of luck.

The strategy for the Wildlife Photographer is to put yourself in the place with the most potential. If you want to find and photograph a bear, then looking in downtown Tucson probably won't yield a positive result. Neither would looking in the Sonoran Desert. Mountainous areas with trees provide a much higher potential. Bears like leaves, berries, nuts, bugs found on and around trees etc. 

So while I was in Flagstaff the last couple of days, I got up just before dawn and off I went in search of bears. First, the San Francisco Peaks and second Mount Elden. Both of these are areas where I have found and photographed bears before. So I put myself in areas with the most potential. 

Still, it is a matter of luck! I saw one bear charging across the 4x4 mountain road (up Mt. Elden). By the time I got to that spot he was nowhere to be found. I searched the area for a while but without seeing him again.  Had I been there 15 seconds earlier I might have gotten a much better look  .... even a photograph. Had I gotten there 5 seconds later, I wouldn't have seen him at all. Right place, right time ... just not exactly the right moment in time.

"Now, a few words on looking for things. When you go looking for something specific, your chances of finding it are very bad. Because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. When you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good. Because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them." Daryl Zero.

Although I did briefly see the Bear, and I saw and photographed some Pronghorn and Elk, my best photo of the two days was unexpected, a very nice male Hepatic Tanager:

Hepatic Tanager

No comments:

Post a Comment