Wednesday, November 17, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bear Stories

Well, I have told many Bear stories already (which you can find by going to the keyword Black Bear), so I'll focus on ones I haven't told. I was photographing in Kootenay National Park, British Columbia. Just as I was going over the pass at Mount Sinclair, I noticed in my side mirror that I had passed a bear. This was an interesting lesson. I was looking for bears, but could not see this one from the angle I was driving. The side view mirrors -- although seeing what is behind you -- allows you to see from a different angle. So, I noticed that I had passed by this bear. (I now frequently check my side mirrors whenever I am driving in the mountains and the road curves. If it curves left, I check the left mirror. If the road curves to the right I check the right mirror). Anyway, I stopped at the next available spot and trekked back up the pass. This was a magnificent fully grown male weighing probably 600 pounds and sitting amongst the dandelions as if he were Ferdinand. However, he was not quite as comfortable with my being there as I was with him being there. So, down the mountain he ran, as you can see in the next photos. Sometimes these experiences are momentary. This was one of those times. But, the result was satisfying.




No comments:

Post a Comment