Tuesday, November 2, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bobcats - Part IX

The last of the Bobcat stories (for now), is another  "....It started as I was sitting at my desk in my office..."  I saw a young Bobcat come walking toward the front (southside) of the office. I suspected that he was headed for the water bowl which is on the westside. (There are doors/windows on both the south and north sides so either way I get a good view). I watched for a couple of seconds as he drank from the bowl, but then it was "grab the camera", and head out the front door. By the time I sneaked around the corner he was gone. But, I had seen this before too. He walks along the back wall of the office and then around the wall to the oasis looking for rabbits. So, I quietly and slowly walked over to where I could get a good view without being too close. There he was staring down not one but two rabbits. The Bobcat turned and looked at me (photo below) then ran after one of the rabbits. I gave him a minute or so then walked up to where the chase had taken place, but didn't see him -- or the rabbit. My guess was that he didn't get the rabbit -- that time. It is the only time I have seen a Bobcat running. Usually, they are either sitting, walking, or stalking.




No comments:

Post a Comment