Friday, November 1, 2013

Mount Evans Mountain Goats

Mount Evans Mountain Goats. There are wildlife "farms" or "ranches" where wild animals roam within fences. Photographers are invited (for a fee) to come and photograph the "wildlife." In some cases the animals are "trained" to pose for a photo. One such ranch in Montana has trained wolves to go up to the top of a mound and howl at sunsets for a photo. That is not me, nor any of my photos. 

I say this because my first "5" Star Photo of Mountain Goats seems posed. The story behind these photos is that I was driving up Mount Evans in Colorado, and at about 13,000 feet saw 40 or so Mountain Goats in a meadow on the tundra. I pulled off to the side of the road and slowly walked down a hillside to the meadow. I got to within 30 yards from the Mountain Goats and just sat down. Over  time some of the Goats came closer to me.  I took photos and watched them for about an hour and 15 minutes.


During that time these two "kids" walked over to the ledge (a drop of several thousand feet) and stopped on a rock. And although they posed for me, they were not trained to do so. Here is that photo:

Mountain Goats

No comments:

Post a Comment