Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Animals in Trees - Part II

Of course, it's not just bears that like trees. We have bobcats that frequently visit our five acres. I suspect it is the 50 or more rabbits that live here on our property. A couple years ago our good neighbor (Ursula) called me to say there was a bobcat sleeping in one of her mesquite trees. Two minutes later I was there with camera in hand. By this time he was awake -- but still resting:
                            

The tree gave him a good vantage point for spotting food. After a minute or so, he must have seen a rabbit, at which point he climbed down the tree. You notice he is no longer looking at me. He sees something else more interesting: 



So he is off on the hunt, completely focused:
He did take one look at me, but then went back to business, unafraid of what he saw. Unfortunately, he did not get the rabbit ---- this time. Life as a predator is not very easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment