Saturday, July 9, 2011

Brown Pelican at Lakeside Park

I realize that in some parts of the US (or world) certain birds and animals are so common, locals think nothing of it. I remember about 8 years ago going to Columbus Lake here in Tucson and talking to all old fisherman sitting in his folding chair by the lake. He was so excited because a Bald Eagle had flown overhead earlier that morning. It was the first one he had ever seen in the wild. I didn't have the heart to tell him I just moved here from the Northwest where Bald Eagles are as common as Gambel's Quail here in Tucson (well not quite but ...) Anyway, I went to Lakeside Park (a couple of days ago) hoping to find the Black Crown Night Heron and what to my surprise ---- just where I arrived stood one Brown Pelican. Brown Pelicans are rare to Arizona. In fact, they are supposed to be reported to the Audubon Society's Rare Bird Alert. Brown Pelicans are pretty much restricted to the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, and the Gulf of California and Southern California coasts.  They are not inland birds. Yet, here was one in the 110 degree desert of Arizona. Now, of course, a map will disclose the little know fact that the Gulf of California is less than 175 miles from Tucson. I wished it was an adult in its breeding plumage, but I am happy with the photos nonetheless. It starts when the Pelican spots something in the water, walks to the water's edge, gulps something down, then sits happy and fulfilled:

Brown Pelican (Juvenile Plumage)

Brown Pelican (Juvenile Plumage)

Brown Pelican (Juvenile Plumage)

Brown Pelican (Juvenile Plumage)
Post Note:  I remember one limerick that I learned many years ago:

A curious bird is the Pelican
His beak can hold more than his belly can
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week
And I'm darned if I know how the helican.

No comments:

Post a Comment