Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fence Jumping Mule Deer

One winter on my way to Hart Mountain (to see wintering Pronghorn) I came across a herd of Mule Deer grazing along the right side of the road.

Further to the right was a very large open field. On the left side of the road there was a fence. On the other side of the fence was safety:  brush, trees, and mountain.

Although the Deer could have run in either direction, I was sure they would cross the road, jump the fence, and run to cover. I rolled down my window, grabbed my camera, and started driving slowly toward the Deer. As they started to move I turned the Jeep to the right to get a better view. As I thought, the Deer crossed the road and hopped over the fence -- and I was camera ready.


Wildlife "action photos" are a little more challenging than sports photos -- not that sports photos are easy either. With wildlife -- as with sports -- the action often comes without warning and is quickly over. However, with wildlife, you often don't get a chance to position yourself for the best angle and frequently the action is away from you. I have countless photos of animal's "backsides." There only value being a reminder of what I saw. 

Mule Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment