Sunday, March 16, 2014

Snake in a Tree

I always tell our guests to watch where they walk on our property and when hiking in the desert. There are two reasons: 1) everything in the desert has thorns; cactus "bulbs" are constantly falling and could be in your path while walking and the next thing you know it is on you shoe, ankle ... and then 2) snakes; Hey it's the desert. Snakes live here. Yes, even on our property. We've had ten different kinds of snakes over the years, mostly though, Desert Kingsnakes, Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes, and Sonoran Bullsnakes. 

Of course, my advice doesn't help if there is a snake in a tree. Now a snake in the tree is not typical -- although not unusual. I came across this Sonoran Coachwhip -- a very fast snake who just seemed to disappear. I kept looking but couldn't find him anywhere (on the ground). So, I turned around to walk away and at eye level saw the snake in a Mesquite Tree. 

After jumping ten feet off the ground (well, maybe not ten) I regained my composure and took some photos. Here is one in the series:


Sonoran Coachwhip

No comments:

Post a Comment