Monday, April 14, 2014

Gila Monster Time

Gila Monsters spend much of their time under ground (up to 10 months a year). So when we see one it is a treat. They are venomous so you must be careful. They are also protected by law. It is illegal to pick one up, have one as a pet, or kill one. Last week Christine and I were coming home after a hike in Saguaro National Park and found one on a back road. We stopped and I was able to get some nice photos:

Full length with tongue protruding:


Gila Monster
Close Up and Personal:

Gila Monster
 Finally getting off the road and into the grass:

Gila Monster
 Then a couple of days ago our neighbor called me because there was a Gila Monster in her kitchen. (She likes to leave the door open). So I went over to help it find the outside where he belonged. Here is a photo of the Gila Monster just after I got it out the door (with a broom):

Gila Monster

No comments:

Post a Comment