Sunday, June 14, 2020

Galiuro Mountains, Southern Arizona



One of my favorite spots in Arizona is the Galiuro Mountains, the northern most of the Madrean Sky Islands of Southern Arizona. It is north of Willcox and extends almost to Phoenix.

It's a good place to go looking for Coatimundi,  Hooded Skunks, and Striped Skunks. I've also seen and photographed Bobcats, Javelinas, Coyotes, Pronghorn, Mule and White-tailed Deer, Antelope Jackrabbits, Mountain Cottontails, Gila Monsters, Gopher Snakes and Rattlesnakes, There is a fair population of Mountain Lions, Desert Bighorn Sheep, and Bears though I've not found them.

Birding can also be productive. Over the years I've photographed Long Eared Owl, American Kestrel,  Merlin, Grey Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Swainson's Hawks, Zone-tailed Hawk, Turkey and Black Vultures, Black-throated and other Sparrows, Cardinals, Grosbeaks, Tanagers, Phainopeplas, Meadowlarks, Shrikes, Flycatchers,  and Wild Turkeys.

My trip a couple of weeks ago gave me some nice photos:


Singing Black-throated Sparrow

Gray Hawk

Gray Hawk

Swainson's Hawk

Vermillion Flycatcher

Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment