Saturday, February 12, 2011

Turkey Creek

Yesterday, Christine and I went for a nice hike in Turkey Creek -- East side of the Rincon Mountains here is Arizona. I have to start by saying that fate shows it's hand -- sometimes good, sometimes not-so-good, but at a time that although was not expected, maybe should have been. I remember looking for Moose in Alberta and not having any luck. I went to the Maligne Lake where I had usually been successful but nothing. At the end of Maligne Lake there is a little sign that says "Moose Lake Trailhead." So, I decided that I would give it a try. After all, it was Moose Lake. So, the short 1 1/2 mile hike lead me to Moose Lake where there was a Moose foraging along the lakeside. On another occasion, Christine and I were hiking in the Chiricahua Mountains in Southeast Arizona. To make a loop out of the hike you go out 1.9 miles on Echo Canyon Trail, and then back to the trailhead on Hailstone Trail (another 1.9 miles). Seriously folks, within 30 seconds of being on Hailstone Trail it started Hailing like we had never seen. Then, as not-so-good fate would have it, pouring rain the entire way back. By the time we reached the Jeep we were as wet as physically possible. So, yesterday as soon as we pulled in to the Turkey Creek Trailhead we were greeted by --- yes, five Wild Turkeys. Today, photos of the Turkeys, plus the Acorn Woodpeckers, and the Red Naped Sapsucker we came across on the hike:










No comments:

Post a Comment