Friday, February 17, 2012

National Wildlife Refuges



Julia Butler Hansen National Wildlife Refuge, Washington, 1971

Located in southwestern Washington and northwestern Oregon, the Julia Butler Hansen Refuge was established in 1971 specifically to protect and manage the endangered Columbian white-tailed deer. The refuge contains over 5,600 acres of pastures, forested tidal swamps, brushy woodlots, marshes, and sloughs along the Columbia River in both Washington and Oregon.


The valuable habitat the refuge preserves for the deer also benefits a large variety of wintering birds, a small herd of Roosevelt elk, river otter, various reptiles and amphibians including painted turtles and red-legged frogs, and several pairs of nesting bald eagles and osprey. Today, about 300 Columbina white-tailed deer live on the refuge.

Another 300-400 live on private lands along the river. The areas upstream from the refuge on Puget Island and on the Oregon side of the river are vital to reestablishing and maintaining viable populations of the species. The refuge works with private and corporate landowners to maintain and reestablish deer on their lands.

Now having built up the refuge with respect to the Columbian white-tailed deer, I have to admit that I have lost all of my Columbian white-tailed deer photos. I had some nice ones, but they were from my only visit in 1994, so 18 years ago. I also had a couple of Roosevelt Elk photos from there that were marginal at best. I don't think I even downloaded them. I do have some Roosevelt Elk photos from the Oregon Coast that I'll show sometime. However, I did manage to save a few photos from JBHNWR. A great Egret and three River Otters eating what looks like a 20-25 pound salmon. 




Great Egret


Northern River Otter

No comments:

Post a Comment