Friday, March 15, 2013

Cooper's Hawk - I

Next up, the Cooper's Hawk. Cooper's and Sharp Shinned are always difficult to distinguish from each other. Both have the same coloration in juvenile as well as adult plumage. And, while the Cooper's adult is larger, they are seldom side by side so you can see the difference. And, as I have learned, in the field humans cannot judge size very well. Nonetheless, we do the best we can. 

Today's "5" Star Photo was taken about 10 years ago just outside the town of Sonoita, Arizona. He was sitting on a branch of a small small dead tree maybe 8 feet off the ground. I pulled off to the side of the road, rolled down my window, and started taking photos. This is the one I like best. The muted farmland in the background makes the bird stand out as if it was taken in 3D. There's also nice detail and you can clearly see the red eye and the black iris. 

Cooper's Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment