Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Carr, Ash, and Miller Canyons

We had no guests to serve breakfast on Tuesday, so I got up at 4:00 am and off I went. I started at Carr Canyon, then Ash Canyon, then Miller Canyon -- all in the southeast end of the Huachuca Mountains here in Southern Arizona.

Birding has become more challenging since I have gone deaf. I have to pretty much see a bird fly in order to find them. Unfortunately, usually if flying it is away. Nonetheless, I did have some fun. In Carr Canyon I found a Scotts Oriole, Western Tanager, Ash Throated Flycatcher, and Magnificent Hummingbird, getting "okay" photos only of the Tanager. The Oriole was against the sky high up in a tree and turned out just a silhouette. Same with the Magnificent.  The Flycatcher was just too far away to get a good photo. I did get a nice photo of a White Tailed Deer with her fawn, however.

Next stop was Ash Canyon. Still not many hummers there. But I was treated to a Varied Bunting and got my first good photo:

Varied Bunting
Then on to Miller Canyon. I'd guess about 100 hummers visiting the feeders at the moment. Included was the White Eared Hummingbird which is rare to the US. I only got him at one of the feeders:

White Eared Hummingbird



I also hiked up Miller Canyon in hopes of finding the Northern Pigmy Owl. Evidently I was about 15 minutes too late as he moved much further up the canyon. I made a quick stop to look for the Spotted Owl, but was not successful there either.

All in all still a wonderful day in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment