Friday, May 24, 2013

Wild Burros to Wild Horses

Horses are the perfect example of the difference between a wild animal and a domesticated animal. As you walk or drive by (or through) a ranch or farm where there are horses, the horses will pay little or no attention to you. And, if they move at all they will move toward you in hopes of food. Not so with Wild  (Feral) Horses. Wild Horses will run away as quickly as possible. This is so with dogs for example. A domestic dog will run at you, a wild dog (wolf, coyote, fox) will run away from you.

My first encounter with Feral Horses was nearly 50 years ago on Assateague Island in Maryland in 1964 before it became a National Landmark. Christine and I took a small "people only" ferry (that ran twice a day) over to the Island. We were the only ones on the island as I recall. As we walked toward the opposite shoreline we saw a heard of Feral Horses. As they saw us they started running away. It was one of those incredible ... Hollywood Movie type .... sights. I can't speak for the way it is today, but my experiences with Feral Horses in other locations in the US and Canada are similar.

In South Central Oregon (Hart Mountain) I came across six Feral Horses at a distance of a quarter mile. Even then, when they saw me they took off running away. It was wide open land so I got to see those Horses run full speed for at least a mile until they were out of sight.

In Northwestern Alberta I was driving a 100 mile dirt road and came across four Feral Horses in a wooded area. Again, as soon as they saw me they disappeared into the woods. Here's the only photo I got (before they disappeared):

Feral Horses
About two hours after that incident I came across two Feral Horses fighting. These were the days before digital so I only managed a few photos. But, one of those photos I thought good enough to rate "5" Stars:


Feral Horses
I had a similar experience of a Feral Horse running away at Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge in Arizona.

It certainly is different than seeing a domestic horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment