Thursday, July 11, 2013

Green Heron: Sometimes You are Just Lucky


Let's face it. Sometimes you are just lucky. 

Such is the case with this Green Heron. As I mentioned, Green Herons are much more secretive than their cousin the Great Blue. Often a Great Blue will fly away if approached, but it is not uncommon to find one more interested in "fishing" than having their picture taken. Green Herons are different --- well, at least in the Western US. When I have found them (Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington) they have usually been much further away than I would have liked. But, on this particular occasion at Agua Caliente pond in Tucson it was different. Very early one morning I found this Green Heron more interested in fishing than having his picture taken, and I was able to get very close (within ten feet).  So, I lay down on my stomach, using my elbows as tripods, and snapped away. Here is one of those photos:




Green Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment