Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pronghorn Story

On one of my trips to eastern Arizona I took a diversion to Eagle Creek. The diversion was a 22 mile (one way) road to an area supposedly full of wildlife.

When I reached the site, there wasn't a drop of water in the creek ... not even a sparrow to photograph. Feeling as if the extra four hours was going to be a waste, I started back down the same old dusty road but this time I noticed a vast field (maybe 500 acres) of grass which could be good Pronghorn terrain. 


Low and behold, I looked out the window and about 200 yards away I saw something other than grass. I stopped, looked through my binoculars and saw a male Pronghorn lying down with just head and antlers showing. I started walking toward the Pronghorn taking photos every 30 steps or so, thinking, "Well, this probably is  the last photo" -- but no, the Pronghorn didn't move. When I was 30 yards away I saw a Fawn lying down behind the Buck.

Now I was really excited, and started taking photos of the little guy too. Dad and Baby were only about 10 yards away now. Dad suddenly got up and started walking away (more photos), but the Fawn just lay there. Dad, who was now about 50 yards away, made a sound; a low deep sound. The Fawn stood up but instead of walking toward Dad, walked toward me -- to within 15 feet. 

Had this Fawn ever seen a human being?  (Typical curious kid I guess). When Dad made another call, the Fawn turned, looked at Dad, and started running away as did Dad. I said "thank you very much" to each of them and walked the 200 yards back to the Jeep.

I got in my Jeep, turned on the engine, put the transmission in drive, looked out the window and noticed that the young  Pronghorn had followed me all the way back, and was now only 10 yards from the car. I put the transmission back into park, turned the engine off, got out of the Jeep again, and took many more photos. 

Soon the Buck came back as well, although a bit further away. He made another sound, crossed the road after which the Fawn followed. Soon they were far away again.

 I re-lived the amazing 90 minute experience while driving the five hour trip home. I was  so lost in the memory, the trip went by in a blink.

Was I the first human the fawn saw?

Here's the male running:

Pronghorn

No comments:

Post a Comment