Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sweetwater Wetlands

I spent the morning (before the monsoon rains started pummeling the area) at Sweetwater Wetlands. 

Sweetwater Wetlands is a water treatment facility run by the City of Tucson. It is also a wildlife habitat and outdoor classroom. It consists of serveral "ponds" and recharge basins.

Sweetwater has more than 2.5 miles of pathways through and around the ponds. Access to the large recharge basins is restricted so a scope is necessary for viewing birds in the basins.

It is the best birding spot in the city of Tucson, getting a wide variety of waterbirds, songbirds, flycatchers, woodpeckers, and raptors. I photographed my first Bobcat there as well.

It is an excellent place to look for the more "secretive" waterbirds: Virginia Rail, Sora, and Common Yellowthroat, that stay in the weed beds most of the time.

Sweetwater is probably the best place in Southern Arizona to find the Common Moorhen.


This is a "must visit" location for birders. 

During my three hours there I found: Great Blue Heron, Black Crowned Night Heron, and Green Heron; Great Egret and Snowy Egret; Double Crested Cormorants; Common Moorhens; and some of the more common ducks, songbirds, woodpeckers, and raptors. I also found but did not get good photos of a Sora. 

Today, I'll share with you some Green Heron photos I took this morning:








No comments:

Post a Comment