Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Bats are Back - And I'm Not Talking Baseball

Every year about this time migratory bats arrive in Tucson. How do I know? My hummingbird feeders tell me so. 

We have 8 hummingbird feeders which get changed every two - three days (depending mostly on the weather, not because they are empty). But all that changes in late August or early September when the bats drain the hummingbird feeders every night.

It is the Mexican long-tongued bat from Venezuela, Central America, and Mexico that arrives for dinner at our feeders. In nature they feed on nectar and pollen from agaves and other plants. Their tongues can extend up to a third of their body length which allows them to reach nectar deep inside an agave or cactus blossom. The young are born well-furred for additional warmth in the cool mountain canyons where this species roosts.

A couple years ago I sat up patiently with my camera waiting for them to show up. Wasn't until about 11:00 pm, but I was able to get a few photos:




No comments:

Post a Comment