Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dining at the Azure Gate - not just for humans




So I was sitting at my desk doing emails to guests when a sharp shinned hawk swooped down and grabbed a gambel's quail. He sat on the ground right outside my office plucking feathers. I took a couple of photos through the window. Then I crawled along the floor (so as not to disturb) went out the front door, peeked around the corner and got the first photo.
Went back inside, sat down and continued to work, every once in a while looking up to see how he was doing.  30 minutes went by. Now eating. Five minutes later a gila woodpecker started squawking away. I'm thinking, how brave? Of course, the hawk is sitting down at the table eating, why would he want to get up and go out and try to catch more food? So, maybe the woodpecker wasn't all that brave. Eventually, the sharp shinned hawk was annoyed and took what was left of the carcass into the big mesquite tree by the office where the woodpecker had been sitting. I thought, maybe another photo. Well, this one was well worth not scaring off the hawk. Notice the remains of the quail carcass:

No comments:

Post a Comment