Friday, November 6, 2009

We interrupt this blog to bring you a Bobcat


I had it in mind to continue yesterday's blog with a short story of a Green Heron, with fish in mouth,  I photographed at Christopher Columbus Lake in West Tucson. But, as luck would have it, a story fell in my lap instead.  I need to explain that my desk is perpendicular to a set of French double doors that look out on a concrete patio where a bird bath sets. During late afternoon hours a  screen is lowered to keep the sun from cooking me while at my desk. This morning the screen was still down from the day before. I had just copied the Green Heron photo from iPhoto on to the desktop when I look down and peeking in from under the screen I see two big eyes -- yes, the eyes of a bobcat.   I wondered, did that make him a Peeping Tom (cat)? Or, a Peeping Tom Bob Cat? I'm not three feet nose to nose. I grabbed my camera, went out the front office doors and around to the side of the building where I took this photo. It was as if he were waiting for me to "catch up." I thought that our guest from NYC might like to see him. She was sitting in the oasis reading a book. She was probably about six feet away from the bobcat when I took this photo. Of course she couldn't see him as there was a six foot brick wall between her and the bobcat. She was excited about the possibility. And bobbie didn't disappoint. Our guest got several good looks at the bobcat before we decided to let him continue on his way. No matter how many times I've seen a bobcat, a coyote, or a bear, or any other predator in the wild I never get tired of it. It's just plain exciting. No other word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment