Friday, October 7, 2011

Could Mushrooms Be Fine Art?

I have spent five or six hours out in the wilderness, 150 miles from any civilization, and not seen anything larger than a squirrel. Why is that? Wildlife is supposed to be abundant.  After a couple of hours I start thinking I need a dictionary to get a better understanding of the word "abundant" because I thought I would see deer prancing all around, bears in trees eating nuts, moose drinking from the delightful little brook, and wolves howling to the moon -- oh, and butterflies on my shoulder. I guess that only happens in Walt Disney cartoons, zip-a-dee-doo-dah.

So, what do I do? I looked for something else in nature that I may have overlooked -- or, at least not appreciated as much as a bear or moose. Once I started looking I noticed all the different mushrooms there are in wilderness forests. After some really bad photos, I experimented with close-ups and angles. And, after a while I got to a point where photographing mushrooms was FUN! Now, I must admit that I haven't been able to add very many mushrooms to my "collection" since moving to Southern Arizona.  Nonetheless, here are a couple of my favorites  --- both taken in British Columbia many years ago:



No comments:

Post a Comment