Monday, April 2, 2012

Salt Water Aquariums - Part IV

Here is my first salt-water aquarium that I had specially made by a plastics company. The black, white, and yellow striped fish with the long dorsal fin is a Moorish Idol. They range in price today between $50 and $75 depending on size. I think the two I bought here were about $50 at the time (1961). However, there is a little more to this "story." In 1966 Christine and I got married and the next day moved to Hawaii to finish school at the University of Hawaii. We arrived on June 5th and classes didn't start until September so I spent some of the summer working (selling pots and pans door to door ) and most of the summer in the water collecting ocean fish and invertebrates. One of the first fish I caught and brought home was a Moorish Idol.  We lived on bologna and cheese sandwiches the first half of each month; then cheese sandwiches, and then by the end of the month it was pretty much "honeymoon" sandwiches (Just lettuce alone). So, you can imagine my thrill in catching a $50 fish. 

50 Gallon Plexiglass Aquarium with Moorish Idol, Powder Brown Tang, and Naso Tang

No comments:

Post a Comment