Monday, September 2, 2013

Javelina Visit

My apologies for not getting a post daily these past two weeks. I am in the process of revising my book on Butterflies of the World, trying to get it finished by the holiday. In the meantime, though, late yesterday afternoon (and for a couple of hours after dark) about 20 Javelinas visited us. It was difficult lighting at best -- and even more difficult to move around to find better lighting. The first photo is a female with two piglets that continued to walk away without looking back. The second was a Javelina that was very curious about me and actually walked slowly toward me-- and seemed to want to "hang out" with me.. Much later we heard some commotion outside and it was the Javelinas trying to get into our garbage cans (I tie them together for just this purpose). This morning I went out to survey any damage. They did manage to break a very nice bird bath and chew up some recently planted Indian Fig Cactus. They also dug several "beds" to rest/sleep in. And, in the process of doing that expose some underground electrical wiring. Oh well, life in the desert.

Javelina with piglets

Javelina

No comments:

Post a Comment