Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Ubiquitous Mallard

The Mallard. Okay, a very familiar dabbling duck. Found anywhere --- everywhere. They can be found in City Parks and on Tundra Ponds.  Just about anywhere there is water there is a Mallard. US estimates for the Mallard is 10.6 million birds -- compared to the Northern Shoveler which is second most at 4.4 million birds. I always find animal/bird populations fascinating -- especially when I am in search of something with a huge population. For example, I've been searching for Mountain Lions for 20 years now. I don't have a photo or even a "confirmed" sighting. Yet, there are 30,000 Mountain Lions in the Western United States. 

But, back to the Mallard. I like this photo because it was several young Mallards sleeping. Of course, as I approached they awoke with one "quacking."  I just thought it made a nice photo. So, here it is:

Mallards

No comments:

Post a Comment