Monday, July 27, 2015

Empire Gulch, Las Cienegas, Southern Arizona: A Birding Heaven

Up early yesterday and on my way to Las Cienegas National Conservation Area in Southeastern Arizona. This is one of my favorite birding spots. There are essentially two types of birding. Empire Gulch provides a riparian like setting, while the rest of the 25,000 acres is desert grasslands.

There is a spring in Empire Gulch that provides surface water for about 100 yards. And, 100 yards of water among 25,000 acres of desert grasslands is a birding oasis. 

It is here that I have found Yellow, MacGillivray's, Wilson's, Black-Throated Gray, Black and White, Lucy's, Orange Crowned, and Yellow Rumped Warblers. In the winter Ruby Crowned Kinglets galore. Warbling Vireos, all the tanagers, and the list goes on.

Yesterday, I walked away with two warblers that are more often heard than seen: The Yellow Breasted Chat and the Common Yellowthroat. Both provided me some nice photos:

Yellow Breasted Chat


Common Yellowthroat

Tomorrow I'll include some photos from the Desert Grasslands.

No comments:

Post a Comment