Sunday, June 13, 2010

More from Miller Canyon in the Huachucas

Since I was in the Huachuca Mountains anyway I though I'd stop again in Miller Canyon. I got photos of five different hummingbirds: Broad Billed, Anna's, Black Chin, Magnificent, and Blue Throat. The Black Chin has the widest range being found in the far western US. The Anna's is only found in Southern Arizona, California, and the very Western parts of Oregon and Washington. The other three (Broad Billed, Magnificent, and Blue Throat are only found in a small slice of Central Mexico and (in the summer) the very Southern Arizona Mountains (Chiracahuas, Dragoons, Huachucas, Santa Rita's, and possibly the Baboquivaris). The first photo of the female Broad Billed is an example of an "almost great" photo. Miller Canyon's hummingbird site is deep into the woods, just up the mountain from a constantly running stream. It is a perfect location. However, the lighting is not always good. Usually my very flexible 100-400 mm zoom is perfect for the hiking wildlife photographer. At 3.1 pounds, it's not too heavy when hiking several miles and you can take hand held shots. This, however, would have been a better time to have had the 400mm f/2.8 lens, which undoubtedly would have produced a better photo. But, at 11.3 pounds (and $8000) it's a bit heavy when hiking. It also requires a very stable tripod, which adds additional weight and set up time. This is the dilemma for the wildlife photographer. I remember just last year I came across several large Moose a hundred yards from the road. I was standing next to someone with a Canon 500 f/4.0 mm lens on a tripod. I had my 100-400 zoom (f/5.6). I knew he was getting better photos than I was. On the other hand 75% of my photo gallery would not have been possible if I had to set up a tripod and attach the camera before I could take a photo. I guess the answer is to have both.

No comments:

Post a Comment