Saturday, March 31, 2012

Salt Water Aquariums - Part II

This next group of fish I had for several years and they grew quite large. The first, the Harlequin Tusk from the Great Barrier Reef off Australia - and the most expensive fish I ever bought ($125) became very pleasantly tame. He was always glad to see me and would come up to the glass and wag his tail. The Harlequin Tusk has large sharp and pointed teeth used to shred his food. I fed him shrimp purchased at the local grocers. The next three fish swallowed their food whole. They liked the shrimp as well, but once a day they each got a couple of goldfish too.  (I kept a 10 gallon tank that I stocked with goldfish. I'd buy 100 or so at a time for this purpose). The Panther I bought when he was about two inches. When I finally had to move and sell my fish he was about 10 inches.  The Lionfish, as you can see, was (well is) an extremely interesting and beautiful fish. However, it's 13 dorsal spines have a poisonous fluid that can be injected into prey -- including human, so handling is done very carefully.  The Dogfaced puffer was another very friendly fish.  Puffers "puff" up when they are distressed. He didn't do that very often which I took as a sign of contentment. 

Harlequin Tusk

Miniatus Grouper

Panther (Grouper)

Lionfish

Dogfaced Puffer

No comments:

Post a Comment