Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ash Canyon: The Premier Location for Hummingbirds - 2012

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, the Hummingbird season started off very slow, especially at the Ash Canyon B&B. However, the last couple of weeks have been incredible. Mary Jo (at Ash Canyon) has created, at least for 2012, the premier hummingbird sight, overtaking Beatty's Orchard in Miler Canyon (still a great sight as well). But at Ash Canyon the numbers are very high as are the species. Here's the list from Ash Canyon:

Anna's; Black Chinned; Broad Billed; Broad Tailed, Calliope, Costa's, Lucifer, Magnificent, Plain Capped Starthroat; Rufous, and Violet Crowned. that's eleven species. The only ones missing are the Berylline (which hasn't been reported anywhere this year); and the Blue Throat and White Eared which can be found in Miller Canyon.

Ash Canyon has always been the most reliable place for Lucifer, and at the moment, it is the most reliable place for the Plain Capped Starthroat. (Miller Canyon remains the most reliable place for the Blue Throat and White Eared. Patton's in Patagonia remains the most reliable place for Violet Crowned, although it has been seen this year in Madera Canyon, Ramsey Canyon, Miller Canyon, and Ash Canyon). 

With another trip yesterday, nice photos of Lucifer male and female, as well as the Starthroat male and female.

The female Plain Capped Starthroat is on the feeder. The other two approaching are Black Chinned

Male Lucifer

Male Plain Capped Starthroat

2 comments:

  1. Nice job!!! Mary Jo has done a fantastic job with all the birds. I have been there 3 or 4 times these past weekends. The Starthroat is finally seen:) I was so happy to get this character on camera. But there are so many other ones as well. Still haven't spotted the Calliope yet....but maybe soon? However, the chigger bites are terrible and I have to step back now until my body heals from that last trip.

    The Violet Crown this year has appeared in all canyons for me which included Madera. I think people have a hard time spotting this one? But it always seems to appear for me anywhere I go....not regularly....but often. Such a beautiful hummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take bug spray and deodorant with me (I keep them in my car at all times). I also try to keep a long sleeve shirt on, and always were long pants. The deodorant prevents swelling and itching. Just put it on as soon as you get a bite (that's if the bug spray didn't work).

      I know what you mean about the Violet Crowned. Timing is everything though. They don't seem to hang out at the feeders, they come and go quickly. Also, there are only a couple of them compared to the 50 or so black chinned, broad billed, or anna's that may be around a feeder site. The Violet Crowned is really stunning though, isn't it.

      I seem to always have luck with the White Eared.

      Delete