Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mother's With Babies - Easy and Hard

Continuing with Mothers with Babies, sometimes it's easy and other times it's hard. I was driving into Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone, which is the main town where there is a Visitor's Center, hotel, gas station, post office, etc. There in the middle of town on a patch of grass was an Elk feeding her fawn. Elk in Yellowstone, like Jasper and Banff in Alberta are common visitors in and around the townsites. They are used to being around people and so don't run off. A photograph is not terribly difficult to get.

Elk with Fawn

On the other hand, I was driving along the Columbia Icefield that separates Banff and Jasper scanning the mountain cliffs for Goats when I saw a white spec at the top of the mountain. Looking through my binoculars I could tell that it was a Mountain Goat. So, I pulled off to the side of the road and waited, hoping it was coming down the mountain and not up. After 10 minutes or so it appeared to be coming down the mountain. Great! All I have to do is wait until it reaches the bottom --- well, unless it changes its mind, that is. After another 20 minutes I checked again. This time I saw a second Mountain Goat. But this one was a baby. So, now I am really excited. Took another hour but finally they reached the bottom. Mom would keep an eye on me, the little kid wasn't much interested in me. It was more interested in being ...... a kid.

Mountain Goat with Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment