Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One Less Bunny

I have watched with amazement a Cooper's Hawk swoop down, pick up a dove, thrash it in a window to break its neck, then sit on the ground, pluck the feathers, and start eating. I have watched as a Roadrunner chased a Desert Spiny Lizard back and forth, finally capture, and then carry it off in its bill. I have watched as two Coyotes tried -- in vain -- to catch a rabbit even though they had "cornered" it. I have watched as a Bobcat chased after a Desert Cottontail without success. But, now I can say I have watched as a Bobcat pounced on, and captured a Desert Cottontail, then carrying it off in his mouth. 

The Bobcat was perched on top of one of our walls, presumably waiting for a meal to walk by. I didn't arrive on the scene with camera until the moment he leaped from the wall. That photo was a blur. But, I did get the Bobcat showing off with his trophy. (Actually, that probably wasn't what he was doing. I don't think cats of any kind care what people think of it). I wasn't in the best position for a photo, but did manager to get one that was in reasonably good focus. Oh how I wish he had turn to look at me, though. 



No comments:

Post a Comment