Thursday, March 3, 2011

Where's He Been?

The last two days I was able to get away right after breakfast to visit some of Southern Arizona's birding hot spots. First, was Whitewater Draw. I was hoping to find Barn Owls nesting -- but, as I mentioned in early January that had not arrived yet. I guess the short of it is they didn't arrive at all. Not sure whether that was the extreme cold we had -- or the lack of rainfall over the past three months. I haven't heard the count for Sandhill Cranes this year. I suspect it is not nearly as many as last years's 42,000. I wouldn't guess much more than 10,000. But, the Sandhill Cranes that were at Whitewater Draw were very close and cooperative. There were also a few other surprises. I'll save those for tomorrow.  So, today the Sandhill Cranes at Whitewater Draw:






No comments:

Post a Comment