Monday, May 9, 2011

Still Miller Canyon

Part of my reason for hiking up Miller Canyon was to find the Spotted Owls that I have seen before in the canyon. No luck this time, though. Another reason was that if I got up high enough I might find a Black Bear. And, although I did get high enough, no luck with that either. I have estimated my North American "bear" encounters at between 350 and 400, with nearly 100 decent photos of different Black Bears, and 20 different Grizzly Bears. (you can search my blog for some of those photos). But, it has been a year and a half since I have seen a bear in the wild. I miss that. Arizona does not have a high population of bears, but there are some in all of our southern mountain ranges.  They are just hard to find. I have had more luck in northern Arizona (the mother and two cubs I photographed a year and a half ago). Arizona does have a high population of lizards -- and jackrabbits. Those I did see on this latest excursion. So that is what I have today. First, a Collard Lizard, and then a Black Tail Jackrabbit:

Collard Lizard

Black Tail Jackrabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment