Sunday, May 29, 2011

Northern Pygmy Owl: Miller Canyon Continued

Photographing mammals is quite a bit easier than photographing birds. The hardest part of photographing mammals is finding them. Most mammals, with some exceptions, are on the ground, not high up in a tree. And, while it is true that mammals like Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep can be high up in a mountain which makes them difficult to get close to, birds are often that way. About five years ago I took my grandson Noah to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. He was two at the time. As we were walking around we came across a Northern Pygmy Owl sitting on a tree branch at eye level. We walked up within five feet of him. Noah, in his little two year old voice said "whooo, whooo." He knew his animals. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, I was caring Noah. 

About three years ago, a guest called me from Sabino Canyon to tell me that there was a Northern Pygmy Owl about 10 feet off the ground and in plain view. I grabbed my camera and drove over to Sabino Canyon (about a 10 minute drive). I walked into where the owl was and "tried" to take a photo. Boy, did I feel like an idiot. The camera wouldn't focus and then shut down. So, there I was about 10 feet from this Northern Pygmy Owl -- with camera in hand -- and unable to take a photo. As it turns out the power supply and circuit board had failed and the camera needed to be sent back to Canon for repair. 

Finally, Friday on my hike up Miller Canyon I came across another Northern Pygmy Owl. But, again, unable to get a really good photo, but for a different reason.

In the first photo -- which was taken with a 400mm super telephoto lens -- the owl is barely recognizable as even a bird!

Northern Pygmy Owl

The next photo was at the same angle as the previous one, but zoomed in further with Photoshop.
Northern Pygmy Owl
The final photo was as I got closer -- underneath the owl -- and again zoomed in further in Photoshop:
Northern Pygmy Owl
In looking through the lens, I really couldn't see the owl's face. Just too far away, a bad angle, and not very good lighting. It wasn't until I got back and zoomed in closer with Photoshop that I could see that the owl was asleep and looking to the right. Had I known that at the time I probably would have stayed there as long as it took to get a photo of him awake and looking at me.

But, I remain determined.


No comments:

Post a Comment