Thursday, June 2, 2011

Imperial National Wildlife Refuge

I spent the last couple of days at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, and Imperial National Wildlife Refuge. I was looking for Desert Bighorn Sheep at Organ Pipe, Feral Burros at Cabeza Prieta, and either (or both) at Imperial.  I'll start with Feral Burros at Imperial. 

I have to say that I think Feral Burros are one of nature's most beautiful mammals. Please don't laugh. Maybe you have to see them to believe it. But, let me just start with a photo. (And please click on it to enlarge so you get a better idea of what I am talking about):
Feral Burros (the one second on the right appears pregnant)
Here is a second photo of a mother with her colt:


Feral Burros are also fun to photograph, once you find them. Occasionally they will run away. But, often they are curious. And, they almost always want to look at you. With bears and skunks, for example, once they decide you are no harm to them they continue about there business of looking for food. But with the Burros, they will constantly look at you until you are gone and out of sight. If you move they may run ten feet or ten yards and then stop and look at you again. It's almost a game, but it is definitely a relationship.

Tomorrow some very young colts.

No comments:

Post a Comment