Sunday, June 5, 2011

Imperial National Wildlife Refuge: Part IV

I ended up taking 450 photos on my trip to Imperial NWR. Out of those I saved about 30. I will show you a few more of the Feral Burros today, then tomorrow start with the Desert Bighorn Sheep. 

In this first photo, I came across a Burro that was walking down the wash on its way out to one of the ledges and beyond to the Colorado River. The wash was very thick with vegetation so taking another path wasn't what he wanted to do. He stared at me for a while and then did three (maybe four) "he-haws". I took that to mean he wanted to pass and I was preventing him from doing so. Out of respect,  I continued on my way. But, as I mentioned yesterday, he didn't move until I was out of sight. Well, I assume he moved. Don't know for sure because I was out of sight.


The next photo is another female Burro with her young colt. The colt was about 20 feet away from its mother and decided that was too far so began walking closer. In fact, it ended up directly behind the mom. This, I believe, is typical behavior of the young ones. They seem to need the protection of their mom. But, it makes photographing them a little more difficult.



This last photo gives you a little idea of the terrain. Here, about 15 Burros are on one of the ledges. Behind them you see the green vegetation surrounding the ponds. Behind that is the Colorado River (which you can't really see), then the mountains on the California side of the river.


No comments:

Post a Comment