Thursday, December 29, 2011

Advent Calendar - December 29th

I was driving through Wells Gray, British Columbia in December of 1998, primarily looking for Moose, Wolves, and Lynx. I love Wells Gray. There are several waterfalls, which are iced-over in the winter. In September they have an amazing salmon run at Bailey's Chute where the rapids are too steep for the salmon. They try in vain to get over the chute but can't. It is an amazing sight. Wells Gray has an abundance of mammals: black and grizzly bear, wolf, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat, wolverine, moose, deer, mountain goat, caribou, plus a host of smaller mammals such as fisher, marten, mink, weasel, squirrel, etc. The northern half of the park is accessible only by boat and then on foot. We're talking wilderness here. So, my search this particular occasion didn't find Wolves or Lynx. I did find Moose and Deer. But I thought I would share with you another. A Red (or Pine) Squirrel:

Red Squirrel in Wells Gray, British Columbia

No comments:

Post a Comment