Friday, May 18, 2012

Birders: Don't Neglect the Municipal Parks -- Part II

Seldom will you see bear, moose, etc. in Municipal Parks -- well, outside of Alaska that is. However, birds are a different story. Often these parks have a small pond or lake. That makes for an attractive site for birds and birding. I try to go a daybreak during the week when there are less people, children, dogs, etc. It is still not exactly wilderness because if the lake is stocked, there will be people fishing as was the case at Columbus Lake (Wednesday's Post).

This morning I made the rounds starting at Fort Lowell Park, then Lincoln Park, and then Lakeside Park; all are within 15 minutes of us. I had heard that a Wood Duck had been seen at Fort Lowell Park so I thought that would be the place to start. Well, in short he was. And, he seemed perfectly willing to let me photograph him. Here are the photos from Fort Lowell Park:

A Vermillion Flycatcher greeted me on my arrival

Then the Wood Duck

Here the Wood Duck on land

Great Tailed Grackle Male

Great Tailed Grackle Female

No comments:

Post a Comment