Monday, May 28, 2012

Landscaping

First, let me apologize for the lack of posts this past week. I was "under the weather". However, I am now (I think) fully recovered and ready to resume my blog.

I remember a story Arnold Palmer told about advice he got from his dad when he was a teenager. Palmer was a very good athlete, did a lot of things well, but his dad said, pick just one and excel. Do it the best you possibly can. Learn all you can. Obviously, he chose golf. And he excelled. That's probably good advice for the photographer too. Whether its portraits, industrial, architecture, macro, wildlife, or landscapes: pick one, learn all you can, and do it well.

I have focused on wildlife. It is something I love doing. I love being in nature. I love wild animals. I love developing a brief momentary relationship with them. (This is probably the reason I stalled on Lighthouses). My best photos are wildlife photos. However, that doesn't mean I'll pass up an opportunity to take a landscape photo if I can "see the photo". What I mean is that as you develop your specialty, you "see a photo" that others may not. I am always amazed by industrial and architectural photos. I never would have thought that "angle" or that "composition" or that "depth of focus" would have created such a wonderful or amazing photo. I couldn't "see it."  I often stand looking at an amazing landscape without a clue of how to photograph it. The Grand Canyon for example is unphotographable to me. I don't know how to capture its vastness.

With that disclaimer, I thought I'd share with you some of my landscape photos. I'll start with the easy ones. Sunrises, sunsets, and moons catch even the normal photographers eye. 



Sunrise in Monument Valley, Arizona

Sunset here at The Azure Gate

Full Moon Rising at The Azure Gate

1 comment: