Monday, October 28, 2013

Jackson County Moose

There are six different species of Moose found around the world. The Alaskan subspecies is the largest with the males averaging 1500 pounds. It is the second largest land animal in North America (2nd to the Bison). The Shiras Moose of the Rocky Mountains (and Cascades) is the smallest of the Moose (a paltry 1250 pounds), yet when you see an adult Shiras Bull Moose up close you can appreciate the fact that they all are quite large. The Eastern Species is found in Northeast US and Canada. The Western Moose is found in parts of Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. The European species is found in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia. 

One year I was in Colorado State Forest after an October snowfall when I saw a lone Bull Moose among some willows. There was no immediate place to park, so I had to drive ahead a quarter of a mile or so and walk back. But, the Moose was patient. He waited for me. And, he let me take many photos. 

At one point, when I was about 30 feet  away some movement caught my eye behind me. I turned and it was an American Marten bouncing through the snow about 100 yards away. So, a couple okay photos of the Marten were added to my day's work.


Then it was back to watching this Bull Moose. I think I could do that all day.


Bull Moose

No comments:

Post a Comment