Friday, October 11, 2013

Moose Croaking


First, my apologies for the absence of posts the past couple of days. I have been working on a new book: "Tales of a Wildlife Photographer." And, once you start writing it becomes an obsession (as all writers know).

But back to my series on my "5" Star Photos, as we come to the MOOSE.

I was along the North Fork of the Colorado River in Rocky Mountain National Park when I came across nice size Bull Moose.   I watched for a couple hours until he wandered of. Interestingly, it was the first time I saw a Bull Moose "croaking." And, I was thrilled to capture it in a photo. 

Like Elk, "croaking" or "bugling" in case of the Elk, only happens in the fall. It is to "announce" the Bull's availability for mating. However, the sound is nothing like that of an Elk. It is a softer, quieter sound, and I heard it only once during the time I spent with him. Also, interestingly, there was a Bull Elk 800 - 900 yards away that I could hear bugling as I was photographing the Moose. 



Moose Croaking

No comments:

Post a Comment