Friday, October 25, 2013

Maligne Lake Moose

Continuing with my alphabetical series of my "5" Star Photos in general and Moose in particular we come to a favorite photo and story.

On a winter trip to Jasper National Park I drove up to Maligne Lake passing an open field about the size of a football field. There were trees lining the road so it was not easily to see this odd brown "spot" in the middle of an otherwise white field of snow. I pulled off to the side of the road so I could get a better view. Yes! It was a female Moose at "mid-field." So, I walked down into the field and out to the middle until I was about 30 feet away from the Moose.

I was a bit surprised that she didn't get up and walk away. But, I was walking very slowly, very carefully, and very quietly. I then sat down in the snow and started taking photos. After a few photos I just sat admiring her. (It helped that I had on long-johns and was adequately protected from the cold). It was so peaceful and serene. She never moved; occasionally put her nose in the snow; but, we both seemed content and happy surrounded by mother nature's beauty. Moose may be gangly looking, but their coats are truly a beautiful dark chocolate brown as gorgeous as mink.


This may not have been the most exciting wildlife experience I have had, but it certainly was one of the most peaceful and in a way spiritual.

Moose

No comments:

Post a Comment