Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Determined Javelinas

One of the first javelina visits to The Azure Gate was around Thanksgiving seven years ago. Just outside my office was a container with bird seed. I heard some commotion and went out to see what was going on. Several javelinas had knocked over the container and were feasting on the birdseed. My daughter and son-in-lawe were here at the time. Andy and I "chased" the javelinas away from the bird seed, down the driveway, and out on to the street. We walked back, partially amused by the incident. By the time we got back to where the spilled birdseed was, the javelinas had return via our second driveway. Chasing them didn't seem to be an option, so I bought a large Rubbermaid container that could store several bags of different kinds of bird seed, including a couple 50 pound bags of bird seed. Did this work? In short, no. The javelinas would push the lid up with their snout, grab the 50 pound bag of seed with their teeth and pull it out of the container. It wasn't a full bag, maybe 20 - 25 pounds left, but still. So, it was off to Home Depot to buy a "lockable" container for birdseed. Even now, though, many mornings I'll notice mud and dirt around the lid where the padlock is. I guess they don't know that birdseed is for birds. Maybe a sign would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment