Saturday, October 31, 2009

Oh, those javelinas

When young, javelinas are as cute as can be. As they get old, and start palling around with others, they can be quite destructive. We never mind if they are out in the desert eating their little hearts out. They need to live also. But, twice I found myself a little more than annoyed. Just after we moved here in 2002 javelinas got into the front courtyard and dug up two octopus agaves. They ate the middle of the plants thus destroying the plant. The second time was when a gate to the oasis didn't get shut. It was about 6:00 AM and I came out the door to go to the market as I do every morning. It was still dark, but I heard some commotion in the oasis. Seven javelinas were in the oasis eating everything in sight. They must have been there all night. They dug up agaves, aloes, and all of the flowering plants. Can I spell smorgasbord? Nothing was left untouched. It most have been like eating at The Golden Corral. After chasing the javelinas out of the oasis and shutting the gate, I stood dumbfounded. All the plants in the oasis were destroyed and had to be replaced. But, look at the faces of those little guys. How could I ever be mad at them?

No comments:

Post a Comment