Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hooded Skunk

Still at Muleshoe in the Galiuros, I have come across hooded skunks (also striped skunks) on a number of occasions. Skunks are fun to photograph. First, because they are so beautiful. Forget what you think when the term "skunk" comes to mind, they are gorgeous like the hooded skunk in this photo. Second, they are very business oriented, constantly searching for ants, bugs, worms, etc. so, you can follow and photograph them as long as you don't get too close. I found out how close is too close, once. I didn't get sprayed, but the skunk "charged" me like a bear did -- once. They do what is called a "false" charge: two or three steps to let you know you are too close. I suspect skunks are a little reluctant to spray, because it could leave them defenseless. But, finding a skunk in the wilderness and being able to watch it for a while is as trilling as seeing a bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment