Friday, December 18, 2009

Columbia Icefields Coyote



Since I started the subject of coyotes, I thought I would share some of my favorite coyote photos/stories. Up next: Canada.  About half way between Banff and Jasper in Alberta is the Columbia Icefields. This area is surrounded by glaciers and creates an "ice-lake" of sorts; looks like a very large skating rink.  The Icefields represents a boom to wildlife: moose, caribou, elk, coyote, etc. It becomes a wildlife corridor, i.e. a walkway whose general purpose is travel. One cold January day, I spotted this coyote on the Icefields. I walked along its edge, side by side with the coyote for 45 minutes or so. Finally, the coyote turned towards me, with the intention to get to the adjacent mountain and disappear into the woods. But, in so doing I was able to get this wonderful photo. Then I got out of his path and he indeed disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment