Sunday, December 13, 2009

Owls of Whitewater Draw


Another attraction of Whitewater Draw is the owl nesting areas. Whitewater Draw consists of Chihuahuan desert grasslands and ponds in the heart of Sulphur Springs Valley, Arizona. Most of the attention goes to the 20-25,000 Sandhill Cranes that winter on the site. In fact, I had not even explored the willow trees just to the south of the ponds the first visit. The willows provide nesting for Barn Owls and Long Eared Owls. I counted 12 Barn Owls two years ago. I was told there were as many as 24 that year. (I'll talk about the Long Eared Owl tomorrow). Barn Owls are fairly easy to spot. The white face is a sure give-away. The area is "roped" off to caution visitors about disturbing the nesting site. So, getting a good photo is chancy, at best. Often there are too many trees or branches in the way. But when you can get a photo -- such as the one above -- you feel good. Even though it is a photo the owl looks like he is looking directly at you -- that intimate relationship I always try to capture in my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment