Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm In The Mood For Moose


So, there I was looking for Moose in Jackson County Colorado. Moose in the Western US (Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah) are Shiras Moose, the smallest of the six moose subspecies. The Alaskan Moose is the largest. Two other subspecies exist in the US: the Eastern Moose (in New England); the Western Moose (in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota). The other two subspecies are the European and the Siberian. Okay, back to Colorado. The main town in Jackson County is Walden, about 60 from Laramie, Wyoming. Although Walden has three or so motels, it has only one restaurant. I normally keep a ice chest with sandwich stuff so I can eat while I'm out in the wild. Then after dark come back to town and get something warm to eat. There are about 1000 moose in Colorado. On my second day, I saw this large -- but young -- bull off in a field of oak brush. I worked my way down the embankment to the flats where he was eating. I was able to spend about 45 minutes taking photos. As I turned around to walk back to where I had parked I saw a pine marten running through the snow. Did manage to get a couple of photos, but not good enough to show you. I spent the next hour or so trudging through the snow looking for the marten, but without luck. I always wonder how many wild animals have seen me, but I haven't seen them?

No comments:

Post a Comment