Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yellowstone White Tail Deer


I have been to Yellowstone National Park often enough, that I have a tendency to pass right by deer and elk searching for Wolves and Grizzlies. I mean, I have a lot of deer photos already. But, sometimes it is nice to just "stop and smell the roses" so to speak. I love wildlife. And even like yesterday when we were hiking in Ramsey Canyon and there were three white tail deer, I wanted to stop and look at them.  This photo from a trip to Yellowstone I thought was going to be pretty good. But I didn't really know how good until the film was developed. First, the deer is laying down, but turned to look straight at me. Second, he has a very nice set of velvet covered antlers (eleven points if I can count correctly). Third, he is in this wonderful combination of grasses and wildflowers. And, fourth the background is nicely blurry (out of focus) so as not to distract. There are so many deer in the United States (estimates put the population over 20 million) that I almost don't stop to photograph deer anymore. What a mistake that would have been if I hadn't stopped and took the time to get this photo. I have a great many photos that I like: of bear, bobcats, moose, pronghorn, caribou, elk, etc. But, this White Tail Deer is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment